Tulasi Plant Information
Medicinal plant Tulsi commonly known as holy basil, it has so many benefits in day to day life and this herb work very effectively for cough and cold.
- Ayurvedic name: Dev Tulsi
- Botanical name: Ocimum sanctum
- Family: Lamiaceae
Features of Tulasi Plant
Origin-Africa, India and from Middle East
- Medicinal plant Tulsi commonly known as holy basil, Tulasi(means an unparalleled one ) is an aromatic plant in the family Lamiaceae which is native to the Indian subcontinent and widespread as a cultivated plant throughout the Southeast Asian.
- Basil is a holy plant & worshiped throughout It is perennial herb with multi-branched and used as a medicine since the ancient vedic period.
- There are two common types of Tulsi: Rama Tulsi has a white stem and green leaves, and Krishna Tulsi has a dark pinkish-purple stem and leaves. Both types are similar in smell and benefits.
- It started spreading Westside in the 16th century and now cultivated world widely.
Health Benefits of Tulsi
Nutrients in Basil/Ocimum sanctum
Tulsi is most effective in magnesium and potassium.
Taste of basil- Sweet Pungent.
Parts used in Ayurveda–its leaves, flowering pops, oil seeds, roots, essential oil, whole plant.
Tulasi for Mouth Infections
Chewing basil leaves is a good herbal cure for mouth ulcers, sore throat, bleeding gums, tooth decay and other mouth infections(controls Mouth cancer).
Tulasi uses for Skin
Basil is a skin tonic, it fights skin diseases like skin rashes, Ringworm, Acne, Eczema , Psoriasis.
Tulasi for Respiratory Disorders
It contains antiviral & immunity boosting properties it fights against viruses, gems and bacteria and guard your body.
Basil leaves with ginger and honey is an effective remedy for bronchitis ,asthma, cold cough ,whooping cough and swine flu(it is difficult to cure swine flu, so it is better to have some preventives at the time of flu spreads).basil is a good remedy to prevent swine flu.
Tulasi for Kidney problems
Basil strengthens the Kidneys. Regular consumption of basil eradicates the tendency of stone formation in the kidneys.
Tulasi for Stress
Boil 12 dried or fresh leaves of basil in 150ml water for 10minutes , let it cool for some time , strain and drink this infusion daily once a day which reduces stress. It also balances the Hormones.
Other Benefits of Ocimum sanctum
Basil is used to cure Migraine, Acne, Blackheads, Backache, vomiting, Headache, Urinary problems, Heat stroke, Prickly heat, Wounds, Obesity, Nose bleeding, Fatigue, Bad breath, Rheumatism, Low blood pressure, Snakebites, Earache etc.
Note: Tulsi tea is also suggestible rather than normal tea products.
Also have a look on my previous post Amazing Effects of Dandelion Root