Insulin Plant Uses
Consumption of the Insulin plant/ leaves are believed to Lower blood glucose levels and Diabetes who consumed the leaves of this plant reported a fall in their blood glucose levels.
Botanical Name: Costus Igneus, generally known as Insulin Plant in India.
Family: Costaceae(Family Native is from Eastern-Brazil)
Origin & Properties:
- Origin from : North America , Southeast Asia. Grown in India, North America and Southeast Asia. Grows in tropical climate.
- In India, it is known as insulin plant because of its use in Ayurvedic medicine for its purported anti-diabetic properties.
- Insulin plant has large fleshy looking leaves. The undersides of these large, smooth, dark green leaves have light purple shade.
- The leaves are spirally arranged around the stem, forming attractive, arching clumps arising from underground root stocks. The maximum height of these plants is about two feet.
- The flowers are orange in color and are 1.5 in (3.8 cm) in diameter. Flowering occurs during the warm months. And they appear to be cone-like heads at the tips of branches.
- It is being cultivated in Kashmir and the Himalayan regions for its root. Started cultivating in Southern regions especially in Kerala.It is a perennial plant can be grown at home also.
What is Insulin?
Insulin is a peptide hormone, created by beta cells of the pancreas to directing carbohydrates and fat digestion in the body Insulin causes cells in the liver, skeletal muscles, and fat tissue to absorb glucose from the blood. In the liver and skeletal muscles, glucose is stored as glycogen, and in fat cells stored as triglycerides . Insulin stops the utilization of fat as a energy source by preventing the release of glucagon( a hormone secreted by the pancreas; stimulates increases in blood sugar levels in the blood (thus opposing the action of insulin)).when glucose is increased in the blood and pancreas releases insulin in order to control the blood sugar if it fails to control the blood sugar then it causes diabetes then we need to take in external Insulin in order to keep our blood sugar level in control.
Insulin plant Healing Properties
- In Indian Traditional Medicine, this home grown Insulin plant most effectively cures Diabetes and effectively cures Asthma, Fever, Bronchitis, Skin Diseases and works as Antibacterial & Antiseptic.
- Parts: The parts which are used by this plant are leaves. Taste of these Leaves are Sweet & Sour.
- Leaves: The leaves of this plant contain Ascorbic acid(vitamin – c),protein ,press ,B-carotene ,fiber , vitamin E acetate, phenol’s(is an aromatic organic compound), Flavonoids(“the most common group of polyphenolic compounds in the human diet and are found ubiquitously in plants” ), vitamin C cell reinforcements. It is also used to promote long life, treats rashes, diminish fever, asthma, bronchitis and for dewarming(Eliminates intestinal worms) .
- The leaves of this home grown herbal plant is utilized to control Blood sugar levels or in Treatment of Diabetes.
- Usage: The patient needs to( take)chew two leaves in the morning and two leaves in night for first week. From the second week one leaf in the morning and one at night. This measurement used to be proceeded for 30 days. The leaves of Insulin plant must be chewed for long time before gulping/swallowing . After chewing the leaves/leaf have a little water.
- Having common concentration of Corosolic acid(used in dietary supplements as a glucose-lowering agent and insulinmimetic)Insulin plant can positively affect glucose levels.
- Corosolic acid works in digestion of glucose process like insulin, that decreases glucose levels by transporting glucose into cells and out of the Bloodstream.
- This can be helpful to any individual who experiences difficulty with high glucose levels, and especially suffering with diabetes
- Allopathic specialists too prescribe it and it is observed to be successful in bringing glucose levels totally under control. There is also dried and ground powder of the leaves now accessible in the market.
Risk Factors & Side effects of Insulin Plant :
Consumption of Insulin plant should be avoided by pregnant Or Lactating(milk feeding) women.
Would You Like to know about Neem Plant Benefits